Sunday, December 26, 2010

Behold: The Sweet Potato Casserole.

I did not grow up in the south. There is, however, a thick streak of southern girl inside of me. Maybe it's because the Mason-Dixon line isn't to terribly far away from my home town. Maybe it's because my name is Melonie and the famed character from Gone With The Wind and I have more than just a name in common. Or maybe, it's because of my obsession with food. Who could do without fried okra? Pulled pork? Bread pudding? All of the above were things that I was never exposed to as a kid, but am eternally grateful for their addition to my food intake repertoire. And who could talk about the goodness of southern food without including the blessed sweet potato casserole? It masquerades as a vegetable, but let's be honest people. This is a dessert.

What makes me chuckle about this recipe is that I got it from a dear friend who just happens to be Indian. Like, not a Native American, but from India Indian. It couldn't be any more American of a dish. But, it adds to it's character. :) And thank goodness, there is no curry involved....
Sweet Potato Casserole
Bottom layer:
3 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup softened butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt

Topping:
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup SELF-RISING flour
1 cup brown sugar

1.) Cut the ends off of both side of sweet taters. Bake them at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until a fork goes through them easily when pierced.
2.) Empty out tater guts into mixing bowl and all of the bottom layer ingredients. Mix them until blended well but still somewhat lumpy.
3.) In another bowl mix all of the topping ingredients. Please use self-rising flour, otherwise it will look like something threw up on your casserole. Promise. Been there, done that.
4.) Bake is greased pan at 350 degrees for 30 minutes and bam! One of the best tastes to ever grace your palate. Bon appetit!
*I usually make a ton of this dish...I triple the bottom layer and double the top. It makes a very full 9 x 12(ish) baking pan's worth. And then people will love you because they will get to take some for leftovers. It's always good to feel the love. :)

No comments: